Friday, March 7, 2008

melt

it snowed the day before your uncle died.
thin falling flakes
more wet than frozen.
we ate our perspective meals
in a small cafe,
in an even smaller town,
and watched the world descend
outside the window.

had I known then what we know now,
I would have grabbed you suddenly,
pulled you out into the falling sky,
pulled you in to my chest,
and whispered in tones
as soft as the snow on our faces:

"If our lives are but a moment, than I'll love you in this life"

that night,
with the ice covered streets
and shivering teeth
behind us,
you sat at your piano
and squeezed your heart out
through your fingertips
like toothpaste
on pearly whites.

and without regrets,
had I known then what we know now,
I would have stood behind you
and rested my hands
on your tired shoulders,
barely singing
a harmony:

"If our lives are but a moment, than I'll love you in this life"

it snowed the day before your uncle died
but somehow, in the purge of icy tears
that fell from prophetic clouds
new life was born
in the form
of two melted hearts

1 comment:

Jannae said...

very well written. it was a very visual piece. well done. thank you for your encouragement.