Friday, December 5, 2008

[a new twilight]


the questions begin when the sun drips down the day's countless sins
they are miserable creatures, to be honest.
they flap and flutter and cause the nerves to ache
but then, a simple dose of answers can cause them all to fly away.
does anyone have an answer to spare today?

a girl once taught me the pleasure of certain words.
she'd say 'use this in a poem'
and i would grin and do my best to please her
because she could be pleased by certain words

a woman once taught me to hate nothing
and i followed her advice
which was sleek, and slender and shot out from beneath her bottom lip
like renegade dice on the green felt of my mind.
and i thought to advise her that what she saw was not really felt at all
but wool and nylon pulled tightly over her eyes.
because she was a woman, she already knew my lies
and taught me to love everything

so when the questions open their rabid mouths
and sink their curious marks into my neck
i have with me the crucifix of a girl
and the stake of a woman
and the light of a suspicious moon
to lead me home

No comments: